*BILINGUAL* IMMIGRATION PARALEGAL (Family-Based and Removal Defense)
FOR CRIMMIGRATION (CRIMINAL DEFENSE + IMMIGRATION) FIRM
* Only those who pay attention to specific application instructions will receive response.*
We are an Atlanta-based CrImmigration (immigration + criminal defense) law firm 100% committed to the defense of non-U.S. citizens. Our clients face a pending criminal matter, deportation, or wish to pursue a family-based immigration status opportunity. Our reputation was built on a clear long-term vision, our core principles, and our mission together as a team.
There is a better way to treat people, regardless of where they were born, mistakes they have made, or on which side of the border they live today.
- We change the narrative and fight negative stereotypes.
- We see you at eye-level, with respect and without judgment.
- We bridge the gaps between us.
- We don’t take “no” for an answer.
*Internal Team Values:
- We welcome and plan for change.
- We aren’t afraid to fail; we just don’t fail the same way twice.
- When we are our best selves, we do our best work.
- Continuous attention to adding value in the client experience enhances trust in the law and client empowerment. (code of conduct)
- We are personable, yet always professional.
- We support one another with whatever it takes to best serve our clients.
- We’re agile.
- We believe our ability to quickly respond to change is a source of improvement for our clients and a competitive advantage.
What We Believe:
- We believe you are so much more than the worst thing you (may) have done.
- We believe that no human being is illegal…and that you are not an outsider.
- We believe that where there’s human will, there’s a way…and there’s a better way together.
- We believe in knowing our neighbors.
- We believe in celebrating holidays, births, weddings and graduations with family near and far, old and new.
- We believe kids should be driven to school by their parents and know they’ll be there when they get home.
- We believe that your spirit is the American spirit.
- We believe that living doesn’t happen in the shadows…and that it’s time to step into the light.
At STERN Law, we relentlessly defend your American Dream. The government will try its best to detain or deport those it considers unworthy. But when you decide to stand up and show the world what you’re made of, we fight proudly to secure your permanent place here in the United States.
OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN THE TEAM
OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN THE TEAM
Careers at STERN Law are team-oriented and provide the opportunity for professional growth, success and satisfaction knowing that we provide client-centered representation and help our clients to be free and remain with their families. We are expanding our reach to now help more people, and need a committed Immigration Paralegal for our team.
Summary of what you are going to do:
• Prepare all legal and related filings (based on templates we provide or created with your input) for approval by attorney: USCIS immigration applications, entries/motions to Immigration Court, subpoenas, etc;
• Coordinate with clients for supporting documents;
• Organize and maintain client’s supporting documents
• Ensure proper input of supporting documents and detail information into CMS;
• Document assembly;
• Serve as main point-of-contact for client during pendency of case;
• Maintain case file organization and completion;
• Audit status of cases on bi-weekly basis;
• Provide case status updates to clients;
• Track signing and filing of documents, and attendance at signing meetings;
• Basic legal research;
• Communicate with third party contacts (family, courts, other necessary contacts for case coordination);
• Communicate with clients to field questions not required of Attorney;
• Direct client calls and questions to Associate Attorney when it requires legal advice or discussion;
• Work closely with Secretary/Legal Assistant to ensure proper maintenance of documents and client management/responsiveness;
• Update Associate on weekly basis of caseload prioritizes;
• Support and assist Associates/Attorneys;
• Perform duties not requiring expertise of Associate;
• File production based on performance goals;
• Handle routine correspondence in your own voice on attorney’s behalf, not acting as attorney;
• Keep Attorney apprised on short-term obligations as well as long-term implications of expedient decisions;
• Be sure whatever the Attorney is looking for on a case or matter is always filed and findable;
• Prepare and send invoices;
• Receive and record payments;
• Work with other parts of our firm;
• Attract quality client opportunities;
• Maintain organization for your work flow and recommend improvements for office;
• Maintain and service client relationships;
• Propose new ideas for better case management and client satisfaction.
The candidate we seek has the intelligence, imagination, and experience to “see around corners” with the thick-enough-skin and enough back-bone not to take constructive criticism personally. Absolutely no “toxic” personalities are permitted onto our team. This is to protect the sanity of all the members of the team and our clients, too. If you are the right candidate this should come as welcome news to you! We are looking for a long-term relationship with the right candidate. At this law firm we like to work hard, get the job done and then enjoy having life outside of the office as our reward. Not the other way around. While we encourage hard work and show our appreciation regularly, we do not want a candidate who requires constant, outside validation for happiness or fulfillment. Also, unreliable “partiers” need not apply.
You should be able to demonstrate good judgment, the ability to prioritize your activities with minimal supervision to meet deadlines, and coordinate cheerfully with your fellow team members to get the job done. We do not tolerate anything that gets in the way of doing our best work by serving our clients with compassion and quality. You should have a professional decorum with a good sense of humor. We take our work very seriously around here but not ourselves. We like to have fun and we want our Immigration Paralegal to feel his or her job is pretty great, too!
You should always have an above-average ability to learn and adapt as our business grows and takes on new dimensions. The successful candidate should know how to “get things done” with minimal supervision and doesn’t watch the clock. . .ever! In fact, we’d love to find the pro-active individual who can see the big picture and then make recommendations for all of the nitty-gritty details to make things better instead of waiting around for instructions. Your compensation will be positively-affected by your willingness and ability to think outside the box and effectively identify opportunities, propose, and then execute solutions to increase the number of clients we can serve. This may include investing your own time to learn and remain familiar with our business and how our potential clients interact with it. The person we are looking for understands that law firms must bill our clients in order for any of us (including you) to get paid, and will be enthusiastic about being sure this critical function of our business gets the attention it deserves, on a timely-basis and is done accurately.
Part of your job descriptions is also to be patient with our growing pains. This can be the best job you ever had or the most frustrating depending on your flexibility, team-spirit, commitment to our mission, and your realistic expectations about what it is like to work in a fast-paced, growing law firm. This is a full-time position but with flexibility and freedom earned by your figuring out how to get things done. You need to run to the doctor, take care of some personal business, or even go out of town for a family emergency on short notice? No problem, so long as you take responsibility for things getting done. This is a double-edged-sword for slackers but we imagine great success for the right candidate.
Required qualities of who we want for this job:
• You have brains, creativity, and integrity.
• You pay attention to detail.
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
• Bilingual in Spanish with written and oral fluency
• Minimum of 3-4 years related paralegal experience supporting an immigration law office.
• You enjoy helping people figure out what problems they have that we can solve.
• You know how to use: a Mac computer, an online calendar, Word, or Excel, or Outlook mail, and some type of case management software (and we mean know more than how to open the program).
• Knowledge of multi-line phone systems and multi-user calendars
• You love procedures and protocols.
• Professional mindset and utmost discretion.
• You understand why it’s important to have a responsible, knowledgeable and caring attorney.
• You can greet clients with a sincere and warm smile, even on your “bad days.”
• You have good grammar skills, present professionally at all times, and you can see how our mission as a firm will help you achieve your personal goals.
• Available to work overtime as needed. Rare evenings and weekends may be required.
• United States work authorization
• Excellent references (yes, we actually do check).
• HS Diploma
Bonus experiences you might have:
• Bachelor’s degree and/or professional certification
• Experience with immigration-specific case management software, preferably Cerenade/eImmigrationAir
• Competitive salary + bonus potential
• Direct face-to-face work with some of the best clients in the U.S.A (really, they are awesome!)
• Recognized work-life balance and team culture
• Being a big fish in a small pond
• Being on the cutting edge of shaping legal industry and quality of client representation
• (7) Paid holidays
• Paid Time Off will accrue as three (3) weeks (15 working days) of leave per year
• Group insurance package (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & AD&D)
• 401k retirement benefits with employer match
• particularized and cutting-edge training
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to type, key, handle, feel or operate machinery, objects or controls and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee frequently is required to sit for extended periods of time; upwards of 90% of the day.
• The employee is occasionally required to walk, balance, stoop, kneel or bend. (10%)
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• The employee is occasionally required to drive and operate their own vehicle for work purposes.
Full-time, non-exempt position of 40 hours per week. Occasional overtime, nights/weekends as required.
$48,000 – $60,000 + performance bonus opportunity
TO APPLY: Send an email to hr @ sternlawfirm.us with your last name written backwards + title of position you’re applying for in the subject line, and attach your resume in .pdf format.